Hamburglar Photoshoot


When Courtney was born three months early she made her first home in Unit 18 of Gulf Coast Regional Medical Center under the expert care of the married doctors Dr. Tyree 1 and Dr. Tyree 2 as well as Dr. Pena and about 15 or 20 dedicated nurses. They got her through a lot of rough patches until, after about three months, they were stumped by her low blood sugar levels. It was decided we would transfer her to another hospital that was hours away hours away from our home.

Luckily we were able to secure a spot in a Ronald McDonald House ( Now, whenever we go to McDonald’s we always give whatever spare change we can to the little box at the cash register. You can’t BELIEVE how well they took care of we parents!!!

It was, in hindsight, extremely important that we be there to advocate for our daughter (more down below as to why).


I painted an old onsie with acrylic. The tie and burgers I glued on it were made of felt. The hat was made of a plastic bowl glued to a plastic plate and covered with felt.

The cheeseburgers were real.


For those of you who have given to Ronald McDonald House, even if just once, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. We were able to stay by our daughter’s side through some really rough times. Her isolette at This Particular Hospital (hereafter referred to as TPH) was much more secluded and we were having problems with her nurses not being properly informed as to the care she needed (she had blood sugar issues as I mentioned and they were in no rush to feed her on time - kiiiiind of a problem). Her crying went completely ignored once by some nurses who were chatting at the main counter about nothing important. She was okay but the nurses looked embarrassed because they didn’t have an answer when we asked why no one had checked on her. (Politely). Sometimes kids cry and are ok. But you’ve got to check, especially when dealing with what is essentially a fetus trying to exist outside its womb. This was actually one of the lesser issues we had.

I’m not tattling on all the nurses there - some of them were awesome. As a rule I think nurses are actual superheros and plan to write an entire post dedicated to their endless service to humanity, but…we had SEVERAL issues at TPH that we never had in the entire two solid months at Gulf Coast (I was there at least twice daily or all day long), plus a third month after the four weeks we spent at TPH and being present made us feel like we could advocate for her, not only so that she would receive the best care, but so that she was SAFE. Because I didn’t feel she was.

Eventually there were enough issues (our being transferred out of town at the behest of her specialist who then immediately went o vacation, her doctor not reading her chart before consulting with us, the fact she was poked 6 times to get a blood sample and then poked a seventh time to install a port for a transfusion from all the blood they took and THEN finding out that they messed up the sample anyway which seemed to fit with the poor-communication-lackadaisical approach they took daily on matters big and small). There were soooo many things going wrong daily. Daily is a LOT after several weeks.

I’m not a complainer, mind you. So I was pretty stressed out at TPH, especially when I understand human beings make mistakes, but the attitude in general was very apathetic. Being able to be next door instead of hours away was a huge help.

So to all you RMH givers: Thank you!!!!!